MG ZR Forums banner

2.0 TD heating up V. slowly!

1K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  M3MAN 
#1 ·
Hi all,

As you will see this is my first post so please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong section!

I have got a new MGZR 2.0 TD. I love it to bits and it's the facelifted model which I'm loving. One thing that bugs me is that since I got it (1250miles ago) it seems to take about 10minutes of driving for the temp guage to move from the base and to heat up so I'm freezing for 2/3 of my journey going to work. #-o Should it take this long??! Or would there be something wrong with my heating system?

Thanks folks,
G

#2 ·
Hi,

Good to hear that there are some TD drivers out there! Thats the norm for the engine to warm up. Mine is the same, my dad's old TD Rover 600 (same engine as MG) was the same and my brothers MG ZT TD (BMW engine) is the exact same! I have a MK 1 (Mar 04) TD 115, with 6000 miles now. Getting faster all the time! Maybe I havent pushed it hard enough in the run-in process! How do the MK 2's drive? Any noticeable differenec to MK 1's? Good luck with the new car.

DS

'Suckin diesel' all the way! \:D/

#4 ·
Technical time ..................gotta agree wiv the guys on this one diesel's take "FOREVER" to warm up ...........And the reason is ...................

A diesel engine works on "Compression" & not a "Spark" .....When the pistons reach the top it's the compression that pushes them back down & not A Fuel/air explosion....The "small" Explosion in a petrol engine causes heat so therefore a petrol engine heats up quicker ..This is also the reason for the huge amount of torque that a diesel produces.......

There Ya go Class ...Lesson over .....hope you've learnt something today !!!!!!1

#16 ·
Hooded Claw, there is still an explosion. Compression ignition.

To get around this problem you can fit an extra heater. Alot of the bigger diesel cars have them as an option or standard. I am sure the ZT did.

I wimped out today and drove the car to work instead of the m/bike and was unsure whether I would have been colder on the bike.
I did 15miles very sedately and the needle didnt even reach halfway!!

#21 ·
madgasters said:
A diesel takes longer to warm up because it is a more efficient engine than a petrol. Petrol waste a lot of energy through heat lost.

So the diesel engine wins again.
bollox.

The L series takes LONGER to heat up because the block is made of CAST IRON not alloy, like the K series which is DESIGNED to heat up quickly due to its thin water jackets. Which is half the reason why the car suffers from HGF.

Diesel engines aren't as efficient, they run hotter in the long run due to the massive compression ratio's, also, a LOT of energy is used to move the internals as the pistons will be fighting almost 20 times atmospheric pressure in the cylinders.

Steve

#25 ·
Chill ya boots guys. If ya do a lot of milage, get a diesel. i used to be a die-hard diesel fan. now ive got a petrol car for the first time and im still getting used to the clutch sensitivity. i still miss the loud whissle of the turbo when i put my foot down in my old 1.9 TDi MK3 Golf but i dont get turbo lag in the zr. its swings and roundabouts tbh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.