MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Yup my 1st re-spray today ( not on my Z ) but on a friends Bravo. Took pretty much all day to complete but its looks the business now!! Just needs 1 coat of laquer and will be finshed !
Re-spray was needed due to stress marks on rear bumper & motorway stone chips on the front.
Enjoy

Finished :D

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
yep more laquer and should be spot on!

so can i ask how come you do all this, you into spraying etc by profession or something?

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In its current state it hasent got any coats of laquer on it at all. Hopefully the laquer layer will be on by Sunday night.
Its my 1st time respraying whole panels, well we just decided it needed to be done, would love to do it as a job but cant find anywhere that has any vacancies.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
if u get good at it you could do it freelance with cash in hand ;)

·
Dirty user
31,429 Posts
Can i ask why you spent time masking and spraying the rear insert on the rear bumper....

Then masked off the insert to spray the bumper yet it's the same colour ?

And tbh good on you for having a go but it will never look right being sprayed from cans even once laqured.

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
to be honest that depends how good you are at spraying, and how good the cans are that you are using, i've heard of cars where the whole lot has been sprayed with cans with no issues.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can i ask why you spent time masking and spraying the rear insert on the rear bumper....

Then masked off the insert to spray the bumper yet it's the same colour ?
Its because we sprayed the inserts eariler ( didnt put up the photos ) and
had to use plastic primer for the inserts. so thats why we didnt spray it all in one go.

if u get good at it you could do it freelance with cash in hand ;)
The Tax man would love that! lol

·
Dirty user
31,429 Posts
Its because we sprayed the inserts eariler ( didnt put up the photos ) and
had to use plastic primer for the inserts. so thats why we didnt spray it all in one go.
You have put pics up of the inserts being sprayed ?

And the inserts look the same plastic as the bumper.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I was talking of the rears lol i cant get my head round why you sprayed them seperate....

And i have seen yours from the pic lol
Because they are the same as the front mate . They needed different primer than the actal bumper. :confused: i see what your saying but we didnt want more coats on the insterts as we had put on 3 coats on already. Just to protect it.

·
Dirty user
31,429 Posts
Because they are the same as the front mate . They needed different primer than the actal bumper. :confused: i see what your saying but we didnt want more coats on the insterts as we had put on 3 coats on already. Just to protect it.
lol looking at the pics it looks the same plastic :)

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yer it does actally but it not, when you sand it and touching it , you can tell its different. Its quite rubbery, kinda like ABS

·
Registered
962 Posts
It is possible to get a good finish with cans. I painted the front bumper on my old cabriolet about 3 years ago and got a good finish. Cant quite tell in the pic but you can see the light reflecting....

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Well tbh i have never seen one with good results. :)
I have :)

My friend did a front panel with spray cans (not mine).

He is a RR apprentice and shaped the bumper smooth before applying paint (rather than rubbing down the paint afterwards).

He used good quality paints with correct nozzles and heated the cans up using boiling water to ensure good pressure.

·
Dirty user
31,429 Posts
I have :)

My friend did a front panel with spray cans (not mine).

He is a RR apprentice and shaped the bumper smooth before applying paint (rather than rubbing down the paint afterwards).

He used good quality paints with correct nozzles and heated the cans up using boiling water to ensure good pressure.
Thats the best way to do it tbh

But as said never seen on that looks good lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts