MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

just wondering how you think a tuned TD at 180bhp would be like to drive?

would it be much behind a 160 0-60 wise?

does anyone know anyone who has this much output on their TD ZR's??

i have a 105 at the moment, how do u think it will compare to a tuned derv?

thanks alot

:trampoli:

·
Banned
8,794 Posts
105 compared to a tuned derv? trick question? goodbye 105. but, vs. a 160 0-60, im not so sure. above 60 tho, laters 160!

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Assuming you mean a zr diesel 180bhp, it would be faster than the 160 obviously, and would kill it with in gear acceleration.
The diesel lump is heavier though so there may not be a huge amount in it flat out.

It would wipe the floor with a 1.4

Also, why the random thread?

What's better a bear or a tiger?

·
Banned
8,794 Posts
Assuming you mean a zr diesel 180bhp, it would be faster than the 160 obviously, and would kill it with in gear acceleration.
The diesel lump is heavier though so there may not be a huge amount in it flat out.

It would wipe the floor with a 1.4

Also, why the random thread?

What's better a bear or a tiger?
bear. its much bigger than a tiger. if it grips the tiger, its done for.

what's better, chuck norris or rambo?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha, i honestly didint think it was that random, im just after something quicker than my current 105, uve probably seen alot of my posts and they are generaly about the speed of things, and know im not a boy racer...its the simple fact that getting up a small hill in my 105 is a struggle lol!

from what ive read, the derv sounds reasonably cheap to tune compared to the others, so just wanted to know how it would compare..

drove a few mates diesels recently, and i love the feeling of the "pull" that the torque gives ya!
:medieval:

·
Banned
8,794 Posts
haha, i honestly didint think it was that random, im just after something quicker than my current 105, uve probably seen alot of my posts and they are generaly about the speed of things, and know im not a boy racer...its the simple fact that getting up a small hill in my 105 is a struggle lol!

from what ive read, the derv sounds reasonably cheap to tune compared to the others, so just wanted to know how it would compare..

drove a few mates diesels recently, and i love the feeling of the "pull" that the torque gives ya!
:medieval:
just, short gear ratios. very short. so you have to change gear loads.

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
just, short gear ratios. very short. so you have to change gear loads.
Yip I found this, any in gear acceleration was seriously dwarf'd by the amount of gear changing, the torque doesn't last that long either :(

I would have a diesel for the lack of HGF though.

·
Registered
716 Posts
could u put a 160 g.box on a td zed??
Not much point.

The 160 has closer gear ratios but is lower geared then any of the other ZR's especially the diesel.
In fifth gear the 160 is about 20mph/1000 revs. But it can rev above 7,000.

If you fitted a 160 gearbox to a diesel the top speed would be limited by the rev limit of the diesel engine to 20 mph/1000 revs.

The ZR diesel as has been said can be tuned relatively easily to over 160 bhp with reliability and is a very torquey car to drive but it does not have the wide rev range of the VVC so is not as nice to drive.It is also a bit nose heavy so does not handle as well.

I realise 'nice to drive' and 'handling' are a bit subjective some people may prefer bags of torque and a limited rev range, everyone to his own.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
rambo, he can punch a mans head off!

Girls aloud or the hollyoaks cast?
NOW THATS A QUESTION and i would say hollyokes cause there is more of them !!!!

·
Registered
730 Posts
In order for the TD to reach 160 bhp, it needs its gearbox and clutch uprated to handle the torque. This changes the game slightly from easy to modify to rather expensive to modify. Consequently, a lot people aim for 150 bhp as no gearbox upgrade is need.

As mentioned, the torque is actually rather short lived. On my last Rolling Road test, torque peaked at 2300 rpms and had a rather sharp decline. Max bhp was a 3600 rmps. In reality, shifting all occurs around 2000-4000 rpms. 1st and 2nd gear are way too short to be any use for racing, so it is really about 3, 4 and 5th. That is ok, because you would not want to race a TD off the line, because it generates too much torque.

The high torque in the low revs really produces a lot of torque steer that affects handling. The car needs further modifications to minimize the torque steer, if you are taking bends in the low rev range.

The other issue of the handling is the l series is a lot heavier than the k series and on a front wheel drive this added weight is not ideal. However, Parkerson's only puts the weight difference at 50kg. I think this is due to TD not having A/C as standard. I know I personally bought one without A/C to avoid any more weight in front.

The other point about handling is that rear beam is heavier on the 160, which helps to stabilize the rear. A rear strutbrace on the TD to tighten the rear up is a good idea or swap the rear beams when doing a brake conversion.

I guess the point being, is that it is misconception that TD is easy to modify if you taking into other issues, e.g. handling and reliability to bring it match a 160. You are really talking about £3000 worth of modifications. However, if you do this level of mods, like Mad's Beast, you would have one fantastic car.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cheers lads for the info...

i would really like to know more about this "mads beast"..anyone got the spec??

what 0-60 time u lukin at with spending 3000?

:shoot:

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
Just to copy MADS sig from .org:

R25 - s1600 Rally Bumper, mk2 zr rear with jdl splitter, full colour coding, Boost controller, mafam, full g-max suspension kit, 17" alloys, FMIC install, egr removed, full Wingy777 exhaust system including decat and dowpipe, wingy777 injectors, mk2 hybrid turbo, kevlar clutch, upgraded pg1 box including torsen diff, upgraded front brakes 282's.

Now Remapped: 178bhp, 312ft/lb

0-60 is around the 6 second mark.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
388 Posts
well reading this thread there is some glaring mistakes and some good points. so back on topic, 160 vs modified td. well the problem is to get a td to 160bhp+ takes around 2.5k in parts and alot of time and patience. 0-60 will be quicker in the td if u can get the power down, but the 160 will pull back top end, due to the revs. But in gear acceration in the td will be far better due to the torque of the engine, can run higher gears, etc. I dont know wat the mpg is like on a 160, but im guesing a td will be better.

To get a td to 160bhp u will need:
injectors, turbo, bigger intercooler, good intake, good exhaust, and remap sorted. thats just the engine, for saftey u need to improve brakes/handling, etc.

so thats my input.

·
Registered
388 Posts
yer is actualy quite easy to get the parts together, but like dave says, need the budget.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts