MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question?What engine would be best for a conversion,a 1.8 k series or a 2ltr coupe engine?for reliability and easier to tune?
Jace

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
hmm, debatable one that, T series is easier to extract more power from because its a turbo, but thr 160 is more "tunable", better head design and air flow etc.

but i suppose im arguing semantics, if u can afford the turbo conversion, do it.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
hmm, debatable one that, T series is easier to extract more power from because its a turbo, but thr 160 is more "tunable", better head design and air flow etc.
Nah, pick up a T-16 turbo for £100, get it rebored, rehoned, bang in some forged pistons, Klinger HG, T28 turbo, front mount intercooler and with boost cut over-ride you'll be knocking on the door of 280bhp ;)

All for about £1000. Cant be bad :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nah, pick up a T-16 turbo for £100, get it rebored, rehoned, bang in some forged pistons, Klinger HG, T28 turbo, front mount intercooler and with boost cut over-ride you'll be knocking on the door of 280bhp ;)

All for about £1000. Cant be bad :)
shoreley it would be double that with labour,i wouldnt want to risk it myself!

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
to be fair, if u are even slightly mechanically minded a T-16 conversion is doable, perhaps except for the wiring.

if u are not confident enough to mess about with the rebore, rehone, forged bits etc you could just stick the engine in, up the boost a little bit and be looking at 210-220, which to be honest in its original chassis was a monster, i grin every time i think about what its going to be like in my zr :D

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
shoreley it would be double that with labour,i wouldnt want to risk it myself!
True :)

£100 for the engine
£400 for the forged pistons
£200 to get the block rehoned, rebored, crank reground and pistons fitted
£150 for a T28 turbo
£30 for a Klinger HG
£100 for a front mount intercooler set-up
£60 for slimline fans
£30 for a boost cut defencer

Grand total = £1070

If your willing to do some of the work yourself, it is possible ;)

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
where can u get slimlines for 60 quid youngy? im going to be after some, the boost cut remover aswell actually....
For the slimline fans ebay is your best bet :yes:

For the boost cut/fuel cut defencer, GBE motorsport do one for around £30 IIRC :)
Dont use one without at least forged pistons tho as you will melt your engine!! lol :D

PS, dont buy slimlines yet, me and my mate Jamie have maybe worked out a way to feed the piping through on the ZR without the need for slimline fans ;)

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
to be honest i thought the slimlines were so a decent front mount intercooler could physically fit between them and the crashbar, lol

its not the boost cut remover im after actualkt as i only wanna run about 12 psi, i was thinking removing the boost modulation valve, i know what it does, i just have no idea what it looks like, lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts