Hesitation under acceleration - theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum
Go Back   theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum > Modding and Help > Problems and Miscellaneous (Sponsored by Parts Gateway)
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-05-2008, 21:24   #1 (permalink)
Banned Goon

Drives: 2.1 r25-T
Hesitation under acceleration

Hey. My cars developed a funny habit. It hesitates quite badly under low down acceleration. For instance, pulling off from the lights, it will go, when the clutch is almost or fully engaged (engine under load) it just hesitates, doesnt do anything, might pop or splutter then picks up again. With this habit, if you then say... stop and idle, it will idle really lumpy and jump about and the engine will feel lumpy.

I got my car back from getting its gearbox put back in after it fell out, put some new plugs in, then about 2-3 days later it started to do this. I thought it might be down to the plugs and so i changed back to the older ones and it was fine for again, about a week or so. Its just started the same problem on the old plugs as it did with the new plugs. Im not driving the car at the moment becuase of this problem so i need to get it sorted soon for work etc...

One thing id say is the car never stalls, it just feels like its going to. My old car used to do this when it was cold, but only when driving for the first minute or so. But even then, it didnt do it this bad. So i think it could be down to a sensor of some sort. I cant figure out a pattern for this behaviour, but it seems to do it when the car is up to temprature. Also, it seems to develop when the car is idle.. idles fine, runs lumpy, then drives lumpy. If i say, turn the car off and go back to it 2-3 hours later, most of the time its spot on, but occasionally its bad.

Any thoughts? i did think about plugs, leads, coilpacks etc... but i think were talking a sensor issue. Just no idea what sensor to replace. Ill call up a person tomorow who is a ex-rover mechanic and buzz the car down to him to see what he thinks it is.

Any ideas? Thanks.

EDIT: Fuel pump?

Last edited by Bristol; 30-05-2008 at 21:32.
Bristol is banned   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-05-2008, 23:28   #2 (permalink)
Banned Goon

Threadstarter
bump...
Old 30-05-2008, 23:45   #3 (permalink)
 Ste
Brothers Grim

Ste is on a distinguished road
Id say its something to do with the air going in to the engine, hence why it happens when you drive, it sucks air in. Sounds like ya engine inst getting the correct amount of air to me.
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 03:48   #4 (permalink)

Nightshade-ZR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Nightshade-ZR
Fuel Flow meter. The bit of wire that is across the air inlet just behind your air filter ! Mine went ages ago and it was like driving through mud ! I think the part fitted cost 60 quid !
Nightshade-ZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 14:21   #5 (permalink)
Banned Goon

Threadstarter
Okay, i tried andys suggestion of insulating the leads to make sure that the leads arent buggerd but.. didnt work. Anyway, found MORE problems.

The car has now developed an oil leak it would seem and the engine whines when idle and you lightly rev it. Also there is a rattling sound at about 3k if you hold it constantly there. Sounds like a death rattle!! OMFG this car was a really really bad idea to buy I cant belive how wrong its all gone in the space of about 2-3 weeks. This is pure madness. When i opend the bonnet up this morning there was a spot of oil on the upper manifold. When id insulated the rubber bits and took it for a drive, it was all fine, but then it started to whine and do the problem again. When i got back home, i opend up the bonnet and there was oil on the lower manifold or downpipe now and it was smoking from there. Also looked from under the car to the side, noticed that the altenator wheel thingy appeard to move around quite alot when idle like its not running true atall. Also when i looked under the car, the gear linkage from behind the engine looked wet with oil, but that could be nothing. When i started up the engine from putting the insulation on the ICV made a strange buzzing noise that i had never heard and i could hear a kind of wooshing/ sucking sound from the back of the engine near the inlet manifold that i had never heard before.

one thing to bear in mind is that the previous owner "weston" had an oil leak that was down to a gasket, but he said after he never cleaned the block, so the oil could be nothing.

going to ask rovermans old man to come and have a look at it and see what he can decide from it. MORE money :@

Last edited by Bristol; 31-05-2008 at 14:24.
Old 31-05-2008, 23:52   #6 (permalink)
Banned Goon

Threadstarter
thinkig crank position sensor now. anyone else agree? bumpppp. any input is appreciated

where can i find the sensor?