MG TF steering wheel - theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum
Go Back   theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum > Modding and Help > Interior and Exterior Styling
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-02-2016, 15:17   #1 (permalink)

Drives: Mk1 MG ZR 105
iancampbell is on a distinguished road
MG TF steering wheel

Thinking about doing a swap over to a TF steering wheel.
For anyone that has done this, is it a direct swap over (I'm assuming the spline is the same) but I've been told that the ZR airbag might not be compatible.
Opinions?
iancampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-02-2016, 18:49   #2 (permalink)

Man in the Car will become famous soon enoughMan in the Car will become famous soon enough
Yes, the splines are the same. The ZR airbag can be fitted to the TF wheel, but the moulding has an extra step in it, so it stands up on top of the TF wheel, rather than sitting flush with it. You also have to trim a few mm from the plastic cover at the 6 o' clock position.

Alternatively, you can obtain the TF airbag together with the TF rotary coupler, and simply use the TF airbag which then fits the wheel more tidily. You will need the TF rotary coupler to do this however, because the connector on the lead from the ZR rotary coupler won't fit the connector on the TF airbag. The only difference in appearance is that the TF airbag has a smaller MG badge on it.

Swapping the actual wheel over is relatively straightforward, but ensure you disconnect the car battery and leave it for at least 10 to 15 minutes before you start - the SRS system has a back-up system which remains active for a short while and interfering with airbag connections before it has discharged could cause detonation of the airbag (it is only a very slim possibility, but better safe than sorry )

Put the steering straight ahead, with the steering wheel crossbar centred horizontal - it will make it easier to make sure you fit the new wheel in the right place. It is also a good idea to use a bit of sticky tape to hold the moving part of the rotary coupler in place - saves trying to get it back in the right place before you refit the wheel.

The airbag is held from the rear of the wheel by two T30 torx bolts, so you will need a T30 torx bit to undo them. You will need a 19mm socket for the nut holding the steering wheel to the steering shaft.

The clip on the airbag can be a bit awkward to release, and it is so long since I did mine that I can't fully remember, but there is a part you have to pull sideways first to unlock the connector; you can then pull the connector off.

Take care not to touch the connector terminals on the airbag. There is a slim chance of a small static charge causing it to detonate. ALWAYS keep the base plate of the airbag facing away from you (and away from anyone else who is around). Once removed from the wheel, there is nothing holding the baseplate into the plastic casing, and if it does accidentally detonate, that plate will fly off at about 100 miles an hour and you won't want it heading your way!

The horn buttons on the F/TF wheel earth through the rotary coupler under the steering wheel, whereas the ZR ones earth on a clip on the steering wheel itself. You will see what I mean when you take the airbag off - I found the easiest way to sort it was to remove the horn buttons and wiring from the TF wheel and swap the ones over from the ZR wheel, complete with the clip for the earth (which simply clips into a square recess in the metal part of the wheel (again you will see what I mean when you take it apart).
Man in the Car is offline   Reply With Quote