Type R help? - theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum
Go Back   theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum > General > Off Topic
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-10-2008, 09:54   #1 (permalink)
Type R!!!

scobie140 is on a distinguished road
Type R help?

Hi all im currently looking into getting a 52plate type r pending on bank loan/ finance im aware a few of you here have a good knowledge of these cars i was just wondering what sort of things to look outfor or pros and cons?? eg zr's look out for signs of hgf etc.
Before i get slated i know this is a mg forum but there are plenty of members on here that have other cars and i know bigslick has the newer model of type r that im going for, so even if he could give any hints or tips on what to look for when buying them
cheers in advance
scobie140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-10-2008, 09:58   #2 (permalink)
 zr_bud
VTEC addict

Drives: Civic Type R
zr_bud is on a distinguished road

Ive already signed up as i am looking for one in the next year or two.

You get an insuranace quote??
Civic Type R - Current

zr_bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 09:59   #3 (permalink)

Drives: Flat Out!
ex X Power is on a distinguished road
If I were you I'd do a search, there must be a Type R Forum and just drop on as a guest and have a look at FAQs, There may even be a common problems section
ex X Power is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30-10-2008, 10:09   #4 (permalink)
 BerTo
IN for Mod hate!

9 Images (9)

BerTo will become famous soon enough
My Garage
Taken from the CTR forum(im looking too)

What should I look out for

Steering Rack

This was the most common and costly issue. There is a huge thread here
The most common way to spot this is to centre the steering wheel and let go, it will pull to the right more often than not if it hasn't been replaced under warranty.

2nd Gear

The next most common issue is the 2nd gear crunching. This is very common, especially when the car is cold. To spot this, you would need to make sure the car
hasn't been warmed up when you get there. If it has, you won't notice the problem so much until you have bought it and start up the next day!
See this thread for more info

Idle Control Valve

This is also a known issue. Once the car is warmed up, it feels like it will want to stall all the time. It normally just needs adjusting, any local garage / speciallist will be able to fix this.

Heatshield

The heatshield rattle can be annoying if you experience it. There is no definitive fix, either tighten the bolts or do what others have and remove it.

Corroding Alloys

Almost all of the alloys will corrode at some point. If you have a Honda warranty, get them replaced. The paint lacquer will start to peel off, the alloys from Honda cost around 250 each!

Noisy Valves (Tappets)

You may hear a tappety sound, more prevalent when the car is cold but also heard once it is warmed up. This should be done on the 75k service, it's just valve clearences and can be done at any time

Rocker Cover Paint

Under the bonnet, the Rocker Cover may have paint flaking away. It's nothing to worry about, just makes the engine bay look untidy!

Door Handles

The interior door handles often lose paint (the silver handle and surround on the inside). Again, this is a known issue and can be rectified with some vauxhall silver paint from your local Halfords

Alarm going off

There is also a known issue with the alarm constantly sounding. This is when water seeks it's way through the ariel and allows moisture in. Take the car back into the dealer and get them to sort it out of you have a warranty.
If no warranty, still take it to a dealer!

Window Rattle

Nothing you can do about this one. When driving with the window a little way down, it will rattle and annoy you
BerTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 10:12   #5 (permalink)
Slacker Industries

Drives: Civic
11 Images (11)

Big Slick is on a distinguished road
My Garage
Send a message via AIM to Big Slick Send a message via MSN to Big Slick Send a message via Skype™ to Big Slick
What Rob said...

With new model... Its 3rd gear issue, driver window rattle, handbrake (all Civics 2006 on but there is a recall for this under warranty) and thats about it tbh...

Old 30-10-2008, 10:16   #6 (permalink)
 GavZR

GavZR is on a distinguished road
EP3 facelift model looks the best in my opinion

Didnt realise all those things to look out for!
Old 30-10-2008, 10:16   #7 (permalink)
 BerTo
IN for Mod hate!

9 Images (9)

BerTo will become famous soon enough
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
What Rob said...

With new model... Its 3rd gear issue, driver window rattle, handbrake (all Civics 2006 on but there is a recall for this under warranty) and thats about it tbh...

yay i got something right, cos i copied and pasted..

Bri in in a cofuffle..

EP3 or FN2..
BerTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 10:31   #8 (permalink)

Drives: Astra 888 No:007
37 Images (37)

Mr Sexman is on a distinguished road
My bro's got a type r ep3

Great car, loves to bits, it wants you to drive it hard.
The heatshield rattles a little bit on a cold start but soon stops.
There are plenty of parts out there.
So far he's got AEM long filter, HKS cat bk exhaust, Powerslot 350mm front brakes and 310 rears, all runnin red stuff pads with braided lines, it stops like a right b*tch!
As for suppliers, there are loads, we have used TDI North and ABP Motorsport, both good and both over loads of parts and advice too!
Mr Sexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 10:37   #9 (permalink)
Type R!!!

Threadstarter
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr_bud View Post

Ive already signed up as i am looking for one in the next year or two.

You get an insuranace quote??
Yeh i just thought id try here where i know the people a bit more so feel more comfertable asking stupid questions should somthing confuse me lol and yeh got a quote 1100 plus can drive any other car 3rd party expensive i know but i can afford it so why not,my only problem is with the credit crunch no banks want to loan money

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviL BerTo View Post
Taken from the CTR forum(im looking too)

What should I look out for

Steering Rack

This was the most common and costly issue. There is a huge thread here
The most common way to spot this is to centre the steering wheel and let go, it will pull to the right more often than not if it hasn't been replaced under warranty.

2nd Gear

The next most common issue is the 2nd gear crunching. This is very common, especially when the car is cold. To spot this, you would need to make sure the car
hasn't been warmed up when you get there. If it has, you won't notice the problem so much until you have bought it and start up the next day!
See this thread for more info

Idle Control Valve

This is also a known issue. Once the car is warmed up, it feels like it will want to stall all the time. It normally just needs adjusting, any local garage / speciallist will be able to fix this.

Heatshield

The heatshield rattle can be annoying if you experience it. There is no definitive fix, either tighten the bolts or do what others have and remove it.

Corroding Alloys

Almost all of the alloys will corrode at some point. If you have a Honda warranty, get them replaced. The paint lacquer will start to peel off, the alloys from Honda cost around 250 each!

Noisy Valves (Tappets)

You may hear a tappety sound, more prevalent when the car is cold but also heard once it is warmed up. This should be done on the 75k service, it's just valve clearences and can be done at any time

Rocker Cover Paint

Under the bonnet, the Rocker Cover may have paint flaking away. It's nothing to worry about, just makes the engine bay look untidy!

Door Handles

The interior door handles often lose paint (the silver handle and surround on the inside). Again, this is a known issue and can be rectified with some vauxhall silver paint from your local Halfords

Alarm going off

There is also a known issue with the alarm constantly sounding. This is when water seeks it's way through the ariel and allows moisture in. Take the car back into the dealer and get them to sort it out of you have a warranty.
If no warranty, still take it to a dealer!

Window Rattle

Nothing you can do about this one. When driving with the window a little way down, it will rattle and annoy you
Awsome berto theres a guy at work leaving for sudi next month and selling his so i want to give it a good check before i commit to anything and also need to source the cash cause hes not gona be around long enough for me to save up 4k and its a t a bargain price

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavZR View Post
EP3 facelift model looks the best in my opinion

Didnt realise all those things to look out for!
yeh i agree but finances mean i can only afford the older prefacelift n maybe if ai get one i could update the bumper and headlights so would look just as good
Old 30-10-2008, 10:40   #10 (permalink)
Type R!!!

Threadstarter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sexman View Post
My bro's got a type r ep3

Great car, loves to bits, it wants you to drive it hard.
The heatshield rattles a little bit on a cold start but soon stops.
There are plenty of parts out there.
So far he's got AEM long filter, HKS cat bk exhaust, Powerslot 350mm front brakes and 310 rears, all runnin red stuff pads with braided lines, it stops like a right b*tch!
As for suppliers, there are loads, we have used TDI North and ABP Motorsport, both good and both over loads of parts and advice too!
Im hoping that the fact honda are usually reliable then i won't have to use many of the suppliers, but i have had a look and there seems to be plenty of parts for them about except finding the facelift headlights i've struggled to find any of them.