Go Back   theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum > General > General MG ZR Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 15:38   #21 (permalink)

Drives: ZR 105+
fearLess is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaJAY7 View Post
That's life though mate. You can't just expect to cut corners because you don't like the price they've offered.

It's also common knowledge that a lot of people don't declare modifications but the fact is, companies are cracking down on it. If you do have an accident and (god forbid) they void your insurance, suddenly you'll be sat there wishing you had paid the full whack and done it properly.

Don't think I'm being an arse, I'm just telling it as it is mate because it shocks me how many people think that it's okay to be put on their parent's insurance policies.
Oh yeah I completely understand mate, can I ask why they would void my insurance? The only thing I have declared is my new exhaust system but that's the only thing I've done to it so the insurance is valid and there would be no reason to void it. I wouldn't think of doing anything else because the price would be too much. It's just alot out of my wage packet that's all

Old 01-08-2010, 15:45   #22 (permalink)

Drives: Express 160 + ZRT
Captainpirateboy will become famous soon enoughCaptainpirateboy will become famous soon enough
My Garage
They could only really void it if they could prove that you were actually the main driver, not your Mum.
Captainpirateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 15:46   #23 (permalink)

That's why you're pretty much sound, unless they watch you for a few weeks, which I doubt they would do for every named driver around my age.

Old 01-08-2010, 15:57   #24 (permalink)

2 Highscores

Drives: Toyota Celica
Threadstarter
akaJAY7 is a jewel in the roughakaJAY7 is a jewel in the roughakaJAY7 is a jewel in the rough
My Garage
Quote:

They'll never find out
Some readers also wondered how insurers would be able to prove fronting. According to Admiral, if an insurer suspects fronting it will examine the evidence available from the police report and the claim form.

This can involve looking at whether the accident happened on a regular route for the secondary driver (who is in fact the main driver) - such as on the way to work. The ownership and usage of other cars in the household would also be investigated.

For very large claims, the insurer can justify spending more time and money on these investigations and can look into things such as statements from neighbours/friends/colleagues regarding the vehicle usage. CCTV footage might also be examined.
Old 01-08-2010, 16:00   #25 (permalink)

Drives: Mk2 MG ZR 1.6
2 Images (2)

Crispy12 will become famous soon enoughCrispy12 will become famous soon enough
My Garage
They can make it a real hassle for you if you ever need to claim if it seems to them that your parents are fronting as the main driver on your behalf.

As said though it drops significantly at 21 and also as you build up the first few years no claims.

Insurance refusing to pay out to young drivers on parents policies is actually a lot more common occurrence than most people think.
Old 01-08-2010, 16:01   #26 (permalink)
 Ordog

Ordog will become famous soon enough
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearLess View Post
Unfortunately it's my only option as my car is over 3000 on my own, which is completely ridiculous.

It's common knowledge that nearly most younger drivers are on their parents insurance. Believe me, if I could do it on my own I would
No its not, get a car you can afford. Its high for a reason, be it your age, area, ncb etc etc.

Quote:
Peter Griffin: Oh my God! All right, don't freak out, Peter. Don't freak out like you did when your goldfish died.
Peter Griffin: Here ya go, Lieutenant Shiny-Sides. It's okay, you don't have to eat it now. You're just sleepin'. You'll eat it later! You'll eat it later, Lieutenant Shiny-Sides!
Buy and Sell Burnley
Ordog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 16:20   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordog View Post
No its not, get a car you can afford. Its high for a reason, be it your age, area, ncb etc etc.
This is the same scenario with most cars around 1.2 - 1.4 insurance wise if I take out my own policy, regardless of what car it is. I had a 1998 Punto 1.2 which I baught for 500, and that was 2200 on my own insurance :/

I have a job which requires me to travel, and I don't fancy leaving my job in the hands of a banger which I can just afford the insurance on. I don't believe I'd be thinking "I'm doing the right thing by putting myself in this piece of crap".

If I have done this for the past 2 and a half years no one has batted an eye to it, and everyone can do it, I don't feel why I should put myself under a lot more financial strain if you can get away with it so easy.

I don't mean to come across as an arse, it's hard to put across the way I feel about it, so don't feel like I'm being argumentative

Last edited by fearLess; 01-08-2010 at 16:26.
fearLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 16:28   #28 (permalink)

Drives: Mk2 MG ZR 1.6
2 Images (2)

Crispy12 will become famous soon enoughCrispy12 will become famous soon enough
My Garage
I don't mean to sound harsh and it has all been said before on here but you really can't justify being effectively uninsured because you want a nicer car. If you have a crash and need to claim your insurance can quite legally refuse to pay out.
Old 01-08-2010, 16:31   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy12 View Post
I don't mean to sound harsh and it has all been said before on here but you really can't justify being effectively uninsured because you want a nicer car. If you have a crash and need to claim your insurance can quite legally refuse to pay out.
I guess it's a long painful wait until I'm at least 21 then ;(
Old 01-08-2010, 16:38   #30 (permalink)

Oh, ignore what I said earlier about insurance being too high on my own. I can get it for 1450 fully comp, that's with a 500 excess though. Looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel!

I'll have to get it sorted out