MG ZR Forums banner

DSLR advice

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Southkil 
#1 ·
I've had my DSLR for a few years now, mainly using it at car shows and on holiday. Does produce some decent shots, but I'm wanting to step it up a gear now.

Its a Sony A200, nothing special, but it does the job.

Its got the standard 18-70 lens on it.

Not really spent any money on it, apart from a tripod, additional battery and a remote wire.

So, any advice on what I need to be spending my money on, be it lenses, filters etc.

I've looked on a few photography forums, but just don't want to go out, spend a load of money to find that what I've bought it just rubbish.

I do tend to edit all my photo's on Photoshop, but in general I just feel they look abit flat, and lacking something.

Heres a couple of examples:

Any help/advice is appreciated,
Nath

See less See more
#4 ·
Filters IMO with shooting cars are a waste of time although my polarizing filter rarely leaves my 50mm prime lense

There isn't a great deal wrong with the above just as you say alot of images are butchered in photoshop, something that I still have no idea how to even remotely use

#8 ·
Not specifcally aimed at Nathan but anyone really. I can't really advise with the photography side of things. When it comes to PhotoShop, there is a tuturial online somewhere for ANYTHING that you want to do. You want to learn about a specific tool, there's a tut, clueless about layers? There's a tut for it. Want to add a certain effect etc etc... I constantly go online for tips. I guess it depends how much editing and how much time you want to spend doing it?

#9 ·
I have this same problem where i feel my photos are lacking something and im not sure what it is. I always found lighting is a hugh part of your photos ( compared to your subject & filters ) if you get some creative lighting in there its can make the photos stand out from the rest.

I would say the easiest way of getting some interesting shots without killing your wallet is take some shots from a step ladder. I found it really interesting just taking shots from a ladder as you gain the advantage of angles that you cant get from the ground.

As Joetography says, just keep going and drive into the unkown and find your style. If you look at some of the photos off the 28 days later exploration site, you can get some good ideas there.

#11 ·
I have this same problem where i feel my photos are lacking something and im not sure what it is. I always found lighting is a hugh part of your photos ( compared to your subject & filters ) if you get some creative lighting in there its can make the photos stand out from the rest.

I would say the easiest way of getting some interesting shots without killing your wallet is take some shots from a step ladder. I found it really interesting just taking shots from a ladder as you gain the advantage of angles that you cant get from the ground.

As Joetography says, just keep going and drive into the unkown and find your style. If you look at some of the photos off the 28 days later exploration site, you can get some good ideas there.
good advice.

We are our worst enemies.I'm never happy.lol

also, try not to shoot at midday, harsh light (unless you want that)

fill the frame or watch your backgrounds (easier to get it right in camera than crop and photoshop, time consuming)

and watch for the reflections as Matt said a polariser filter can help, but learn how to remove reflections in photoshop, can make a huge difference.

but..........

shoot shoot shoot

#14 ·
i use adobe cs4 portable(only because its the only 1 that i could acquire at the time for free)lol, is it worth going for lightroom for a bit of difference, i doubt im fully using photoshop to its full potential but o well haha

#15 ·
hi mate, I don't know if you know, but I do a bit of car photography and use the Sony A200. ( www.facebook.com/sdukphotography )

I LOVE the A200! I have the utility lens that you have, also use a 50mm fixed lens and have a 75-300 lens for motorsport shots.

Are you shooting in RAW? This is by far the best way to make sure you get "the" shot and allows for much better editing back home.

What mode are you shooting in?

Do you have any of the RAW files for the above photos? I'd gladly have an edit of them for you to see if I can change your mind on the camera :)

Sammy

#16 ·
Unfortunately upgrading the camera doesn't upgrade the techniques used to take photos, its more practice and play with what you have, different lenses, remote, tripods, flash all basic kit really. Filters can be fun, but there are so many to choose from.

As sammy say, shot in raw much more to edit and play around with than jpeg. With my EOS DSLR i shot raw but saves both raw and jpegs. Kills the memory cards, but always carry three or four of them.

Just keep playing, get your tripod and remote out and have a play at night, light painting with torches or laser pens is good fun, even black and white can change an image, although most of the time for me black and white is done after in the canon software.

#17 ·
Well, soon after posting this, I did abit more research into the cameras capabilities.

I then went out and tried these functions I wasn't aware of.

It was more things like alternative lenses that I was wanting to upgrade rather than the complete camera.

I've never shot in the RAW format, mainly because I've never known how it worked. Or whether I could use Photoshop to edit them.

To be told you use an A200 is good to know Sammy. Your photo's always impress me. It was actually the RS shoot you did that inspired me to improve my own photos.

Anyway, I went to Elsecar VW show on Monday, and took these. Personally I feel they're my best to date.

Thanks for all advice given so far, very much appreciated :D

#22 ·
If you can get a lens that will give you a very shallow depth of field, this will add something to your shots. It will allow you to focus the attention of the observer to key points of your picture. Something like this

This shot is what you'll be after. Nice :thumbsup:

Also, RAW shooting is great, as you can play with all of the settings in the warmth of your study!

Read the manual for your camera from front to back twice and then read it again. Playing with all of the settings is the best way to learn. Have fun! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.